As United Methodists, we have an obligation to bear a faithful Christian witness to Jesus Christ, the living reality at the center of the Church’s life and witness. To fulfill this obligation, we reflect critically on our biblical and theological inheritance, striving to express faithfully the witness we make in our own time.
We are a Reconciling Ministry. Reconciling Ministries Network envisions a renewed and vibrant Wesleyan movement that is biblically and theologically centered. As committed disciples of Jesus Christ, we strive to transform ourselves and the world by living out the Gospel’s teachings of grace, love, justice, and celebration of all of God’s children.
You can learn more through https://rmnetwork.org
Adopted shortly after the merger of The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the symbol relates The United Methodist church to God through Christ (cross) and the Holy Spirit (flame). The flame is a reminder of Pentecost when witnesses were unified by the power of the Holy Spirit and saw “tongues, as of fire” (Acts 2:3).The two tongues of a single flame may also be understood to represent the union of two denominations. The two separate flames represent the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church coming together to form the United Methodist Church.
You can learn more through http://www.umc.org
We are Methoducks. “Methoducks” came from a crazy Christmas gift Pastor Kelly gave staff and leadership a number of years ago. Everyone got a rubber duck Nativity set and was challenged to play Where in the world, Flat Stanley style, with it. We received pictures of those ducks from all over the world! It was a lot of fun. It’s evolved to themed ducks being our give away at local events and in church around the seasons. Our latest is our best with the symbol of the United Methodist denomination (the cross and flame) adorning a duck amidst other ducks.
The Methodist denomination organized the first church in Bay View. It was a small wooden church built in 1868 by English immigrants on the land donated by the Milwaukee Iron Company at what today is 2471 and 2473 S. Wentworth Avenue. In 1887, the congregation moved to this Victorian Gothic cream city brick edifice designed by parishioner William Davelaar.
After World War II, husband and wife Lillian and Willis Leenhouts designed an educational wing and remodeled the church interior, installing new stained glass windows. The Bay View Historical Society designated the Bay View United Methodist Church as a landmark on May 6th, 1984.